Františkánská zahrada (Franciscan garden) is a lovely park area, rather hidden between Jungmannovo námestí (Jungmann Square) and Václavské námestí (Wenceslas Square).
By entering this peaceful spot you just leave behind all the noise and rush of the busiest streets of the Prague centre. Surrounded by the abundance of verdure and colorful flower patches it is very tempting just to sit down on one of the plenty of benches and relax.
Local people come here mostly to hang out, eat their take away lunches, read, work, study or even sunbathe. In one of the corners there is also a playground for children.
The history of this place begins in 1348 when the first phase of the construction of Nové Mesto (New Town) took place. The garden was originally much larger and belonged to a Carmelite monastery, which then in 1604 came into possession of the Franciscans, who used it for growing herbs, flowers, vegetables, spices and trees.
It wasn’t open to public until 1950 when the Franciscans were displaced by the Communists. Then it became a useful shortcut between the two squares. The contemporary look of the garden comes from the general reconstruction between 1989 and 1992.
Františkánská zahrada | Relaxing | Free
Jungmannovo námestí 18
07:00 – 22:00 daily