Image by Magda Przedmojska 2016

Fort Bema – A walk among fortifications

These fortifications were built 1886-1890 and were used both in that time and after, during the second World War. They were kept in Polish hands until the capitulation of Warsaw after the Warsaw Rising. Then, until the end of the war, the fortifications had a primary function as storage place in German hands. After the war the fortification belonged to the Bemowo Military Airport. It has been possible to visit since 1999.

Most of the buildings are in an OK condition; a skilled eye will spot buildings for storage of gunpowder (a gunpowder production took place here, the factory was able to produce over 2 million ammunition items every month!), ventilation shafts and more.

For sporty visitors there is a ropes course with a great view over the fortifications. After the park fun you can enjoy a coffee in Jurta, a tiny sweet cafe located to the West of the fortifications in a yurt tent.

Offline Warsaw tips? Get our iPhone / Android app!

Full Warsaw map?
See spots nearby?

Get our 100% offline app now!

For just €3.99/$3.99

Details about this spot

Categories

Address

Obrońców Tobruku, Warsaw

Opening Times

Daily

Price

Free
Last Changed Date: 2016-05-19 11:45:13 +0200 (Thu, 19 May 2016)