Residents of some of the most popular cities in the world are happy to share their city with you. But they want it represented correctly of course! So locals really are giving you their all in introducing their city to its visitors.
A few of our Spotted by Locals Sofia Spotters initiated the Free Sofia Tour. We joined their tour back when we were in Sofia, and were impressed by the enthusiasm, quality and professionalism.
While regular tour-guides get paid regardless of their performance, so they might not deliver a top quality tour, these free walking tours are purely based on the local’s love for his/her city and the interest in sharing knowledge with visitors.
We’ve found the following free tours in most of “our” cities in and around Europe:
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – New Amsterdam Tours, City Free Tours, 360 Amsterdam
- Athens, Greece – Athens Free Walking Tour, Athens Free Tour
- Barcelona, Spain – Runner Bean Tours, B Side Free Tour Barcelona, New Barcelona Tours
- Belgrade, Serbia – Belgrade Walking Tours
- Berlin, Germany – Alternative Berlin Tours, New Berlin Tours, Original Berlin Tours
- Bratislava, Slovakia – Be Free Tours
- Brussels, Belgium – Brussels Greeters, New Brussels Free Tour
- Bucharest, Romania – Guided Bucharest
- Budapest, Hungary – Free Budapest Walking Tours, Free Budapest Tours
- Cologne, Germany – Can You Handle It? Tours
- Copenhagen, Denmark – New Copenhagen Tours, Free Walking Tours
- Dublin, Ireland – New Dublin Tours
- Edinburgh, Scotland – New Edinburgh Tours
- Ghent, Belgium – iTours Free tours in Ghent, Free Walking Tours, Can You Handle It? Tours
- Hamburg, Germany – New Hamburg Tours, Free Walking Tours
- Helsinki, Finland – Free Walking Tour
- Kiev, Ukraine – Free Tours
- Krakow, Poland – Free Walking Tour
- Lisbon, Portugal – Lisbon Free Tour
- Ljubljana, Slovenia – Ljubljana Free Tour
- London, UK – New London Tours, Alternative London Free Tour
- Madrid, Spain – New Madrid Tours
- Milan, Italy – Milan Free Tour
- Moscow, Russia – Moscow Free Tour
- Munich, Germany – New Munich Free Tour
- Oslo, Norway – Oslo Free Tour
- Paris, France – City Free Tour, New Paris Tours
- Porto, Portugal – Porto Free Tour
- Prague, Czech Republic – Extravaganza Free Tour, New Prague Free Tour, Royal Walk Free Tour
- Riga, Latvia – Yellow Free Tours
- Rome, Italy – New Rome Free Tour, Rome Free Tour
- Rotterdam, Netherlands – Ani & Haakien Hostel
- Saint Petersburg, Russia – Saint Petersburg Free Tour
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina – Free Sarajevo Walking Tours, Sarajevo Insider Free Tour
- Skopje, Macedonia – Free Tours Network
- Sofia, Bulgaria – Free Sofia Tour
- Stockholm, Sweden – Free Tour Stockholm
- Tallinn, Estonia – Yellow Free Tours
- Tel Aviv, Israel – New Tel Aviv Tour
- Thessaloniki, Greece – Free Walking Tours
- Vienna, Austria – Big Boy Travel
- Vilnius, Lithuania – Yellow Free Tours
- Warsaw, Poland – Tip Trip, Free Walking Tour
- Zagreb, Croatia – Free Walking Tours
- Zurich, Switzerland – Free Walk Zurich
Free walking tours are an awesome way to get to know a new city through locals (usually residents volunteer to be guides) if you’re traveling on a budget, but remember that, even though the tours are technically free, most of them are tip-based. If you attend one of these tours, you should donate per your satisfaction and resources.
A quote from United Europe Free Tours: “Guides do not get paid for their work and are very much aware of the fact that if they do not provide an exceptionally good tour, they get no tips. As a result, free tours promise to be interesting, entertaining, professional and fun.
Its a win-win situation for all.”
These tours go extremely well with the idea behind our website. They both come down to local people sharing their city and their perspectives with you so that your experience would be as authentic as possible. If you use the tours to get an idea of the layout of the city, our “spots” that you’d like to visit will be much easier to find! Also, you might meet some travel companions during these tours that you could take to some of our “spots” and enjoy local recommendations together!
We update this list once a year. Run or know a 100% free tour by locals in a major European city from our list? Let us know in the comments so we can add yours to it!