Chances are you don’t know what an Egg Cream is. My personal recipe: into a soda fountain glass pour a dash of milk, some cocoa powder, a teaspoon of sugar or maple syrup, stir it all up until it makes a not-too-thick chocolate mud. Add milk halfway up the glass, stir that up then add, carefully, carbonated water — seltzer as New Yorkers call it, is the best — to the top. It should wind up creamy and covered in foam, and will probably overflow. There you have it, a Chocolate Egg Cream.
The photo shows one being made.
Too much for you? Then take a trip to Eddie’s Sweet Shop: egg creams, malts, milkshakes made with homemade ice cream from a century-old soda-fountain. Sundaes and banana splits like you’ve never dreamed. It’s a worthy anachronism.
It’s also an adventure getting there:
◦ Approximate Travel Time: 1 hour +
◦ Take the downtown E Train (‘Jamaica…’ bound);
◦ Get off in Queens at Forest Hills – 71st Avenue Station, transfer to the bus (or walk, see below);
◦ From 71st Avenue & Queens Boulevard:
◦ Take the ‘Forest Hills / Union Tpk. via 108 Street’ bound Q23 Bus;
◦ Get off at Mertropolitan Avenue & 71st Avenue
◦ Walk 5 minutes East to Eddie’s.
Or don’t take the bus, but walk through Forest Hills along 71st (south) to Metropolitan Avenue, turn east and walk the few blocks to Eddie’s. It’s on the left. Forest Hills is a beautiful neighbourhood full of old English Tudor style houses, apartments and specimen Pin Oak trees.