Exploring Rotterdam by bike offers countless adventures, but one experience that stands out is the Maastunnel. I want to share this unique gem with you, and it’s not just about the destination but the journey itself.
When you’re faced with travelling from the North to the South or vice versa, the Erasmus Bridge and the Willems Bridge often come to mind. However, for those in the know, especially during the summer, the Maastunnel provides a refreshing alternative.
But there’s a twist – navigating the Maastunnel requires some finesse. To make your journey through this iconic tunnel enjoyable, here are five insider tips:
- Travel Light: Before you descend the steep escalator, make sure the front of your bike is as light as possible. You’ll appreciate the ease of manoeuvring.
- Sideways Handlebars: For stability, turn your handlebars and position your front wheel sideways on the escalator. This prevents any wobbling as you go down.
- Comfortable Grip: As you descend, keep one hand on the handlebars and the other under your saddle. This ensures a balanced and comfortable ride.
- Anticipate the Climb: While the descent is thrilling, be ready for a slight uphill section on the other side. A quick gear shift will help you conquer it.
- Secret Tip: Elevator Option: If the escalator isn’t your thing, there’s a convenient elevator at both entrances for a more leisurely experience.